South Orange is a suburban community that encompasses only 2.8 square miles. Located in Essex County and just East of New Jersey’s South Mountain it offers several amenities including gas street lighting. With its history dating back to 1869, this village enjoys an active lifestyle with a large business district and several restaurants. It is also conveniently located with Manhattan only 35 minutes away by NJ Transit or by bus.
South Orange was originally called The Chestnut Hills. Part of the territory known today as Newark, South Orange was purchased from Lenape Native Americans in 1666 by a group of settlers known as Captain Robert Treat and Lieutenant Samuel Swaine. It was not until 1678 that the settlers purchased a second parcel from the Native Americans covering the area between East of the Rahway River to the Mountain Top.
Progress was slow to come but in early 1700 South Orange developed its first primitive highway converted from an Indian trail. Eventually these highways were traveled during the American Revolution by Washington and his troops. During this century and into the early 1800’s things began to change rapidly. Horseback became a thing of the past and was replaced with Oxcarts. Soon after that Oxcarts were replaced by the stage coach. It was not until 1836 that the Morris and Essex railroad was created using a single track between the village and Orange, using a horse-drawn cart.
A short time after, just a year, the train began to take shape with the addition of two cars pulled by what we now know as a locomotive. This put South Orange on the map as a suburb of Newark. In 1868 South Orange was transformed from farmland and mills to a residential suburb of New York and Newark. The late 1890’s pushed South Orange into the modern world with the addition of gas and electricity. The first post office was established in 1841.
EXCELLENT SCHOOL DISTRICTS
If you are considering South Orange as a place to live the schools are enticing. Shared with nearby Maplewood, South Orange is home to Six Elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. For the family who is seeking a school that is geared towards higher education, Columbia High School comes highly recommended with many advanced classes that are guaranteed to prepare your child for college. It also contains many clubs including chess and astronomy as well as varsity sports.
With 62 acres of parkland, South Orange contains many facilities that provide an outlet for its residents such as baseball fields, tennis courts, soccer field, duck pond, outdoor pool, playgrounds and a community center. There is also a sledding hill for all to enjoy during the winter months.
Rich in history, South Orange has many historical landmarks that are maintained to this date.
- The Stone House is the oldest building in the village, built in 1680.
- The Colonial House was built in 1774 by Henry Squier. Sold several times it was eventually leased to Flood, a dairyman, who used the facility to pasture his cows. This place is currently known as Meadowland Park.
- The Brownstone mansion built by William Redmond is now used by the Orange Lawn Tennis Club.
Since the 1600’s Government has drastically changed. Originating with Theocracy and then changing over time to democracy. Population changes sparked government changes and in 1904, the village and township separated as South Orange agreed to remain as part of the school district. In 1977 voters of South Orange overwhelmingly passed a new Charter for South Orange changing its name to The Township of South Orange Village.
SOUTH ORANGE REAL ESTATE
South Orange is a wealthy village wherein the average family median income is $94,894. The current market shows that home values are up at least 3.4% for an average median sale price of $519,225.
real estate new jersey, new jersey real estate, nj real estate, real estate nj, new jersey mls, new jersey homes for sale,South Orange nj real estate, real estate in South Orange,South Orange homes, South Orange nj homes, real estate in South Orange nj, realtors South Orange nj, moving to South Orange, new jersey real estate listings
South Orange Village Twp. Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in South Orange Village Twp.
- 113 3rd St, Unit 2 South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1858
- 516 Vose Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-3014
- 158 Raymond Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2340
- 30 Cottage St South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2207
- 228 Edgewood Ter South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1404
- 11 E Clark Pl South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2921
- 101 Ward Pl South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2516
- 15 University Ct South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2333
- 407 Irving Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2325
- 353 Turrell Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2331
- 370 Turrell Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2348
- 234 Raymond Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2305
- 8 Foster Ct South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1002
- 19 Overhill Rd South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1062
- 363 Irving Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2325
Sold Listings in South Orange Village Twp.
- 227 Waverly Pl South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2124
- 119 Milton Pl South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2617
- 225 Prospect St South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1803
- 314 Hillside Pl South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079
- 143 College Pl South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2505
- 1 Village Green Ct, Unit 1 South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1506
- 230 Raymond Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2305
- 36 Crest Dr South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1014
- 347 Tichenor Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2116
- 360 S Ridgewood Rd South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1473
- 177 Grove Rd South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2368
- 216 Village Rd South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2144
- 14 Speir Dr South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-1024
- 180 W Fairview Ave South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2146
- 160 Ward Pl South Orange Village Twp., NJ 07079-2517
Walk Score for South Orange Village Twp.
South Orange Village Twp. School Data
South Orange Village Twp. School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
South Orange Village Twp. Schools
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school data. Please check back soon.